Google is never one to shy away from new hardware. Over the years they have introduced various items that have caused a mighty splash in the market. From Android smartphones to simple and cheap game changers like Chromecast, they have had quite a few hits.
A year ago, they introduced OnHub. OnHub is a router that is both easy to use, and definitely easy on the eyes. The best part? OnHub software is supported via Google, meaning that the devices get better with every software update. This is similar to the many updates Chromebooks get.
Today Google is celebrating the first birthday of their router. To commemorate this, they have formed a partnership with Philips Lighting. This means that you can now control your Philips Hue lights directly from your router. This can be done by simply typing “On.Here” in any browser on a connected device.
Apart from Philips Hue, here are 10 awesome things OnHub lets you do:
- Ability to pick and choose what devices are shared on the network.
- Network Check feature lets you pinpoint any issue that may slow you down.
- Automatically selects the fastest available WiFi channel.
- Automatic security updates from Google mean you and your devices stay secure.
- Control which devices get priority bandwidth.
- Custom name your devices.
- Give your network name emojis.
- Custom designs for home routers.
- Works with IFTTT.
- Share and manage your connected devices with all others.
The following video highlights how OnHub is more than just a WiFi router:
Google are also giving special deals on the devices for a month, going up to the 30th of September.
Will you be getting an OnHub device? Do you already own one? Let us know in the comments section below!